[Sussex] The Gadget Show

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Feb 3 17:01:49 UTC 2006

Dave

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 11:00:39AM +0000, Dave Chapman wrote:
> On Thursday 02 February 2006 14:50, Steve Dobson wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 10:31:35PM +0000, Dave Chapman wrote:
> > > The Gadget Show on Bravo had an article about open source.
> > > This was shown some time ago but I only managed to record some of it.
> > > I emailed The Gadget Show enquiring about using it but have had no reply.
> > >
> > > Today it was repeated so I recorded it onto DVD and have transcoded it to
> > > a more downloadable size.
> > > I thought it might make a nice presentation to have running on a machine
> > > at the BCF.
> > > I will bring the DVD with me on Sunday.
> > >
> > > Take a look.
> > >
> > > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dokterdave/pub/Gadget.MP4
> >
> > Nik had trouble posting to the list so he asked me to forward his
> > comments on.  This is what Nik had to say:
> >   Dave. thanks for that :- here though is where you know the
> >   "BUT" is comming.
> >
> >   BUT
> >
> >   we cant use the content at the show unless you get permission
> >   from the owners of the copyrighted material. Thanks for your
> >   thoughts though.
> >
> >   we do have permission to show and distributr
> >
> >   Hak5, OpenAlpha, This Week In Tech, LUG Radio and many others.
>
> But who to ask.

The copyright holder(s).

IIRC the BBC, in preparing it's archive ready for release to the British
public had to find anyone (or the decedents) who might have had had some
claim to part of the copyright (graphic artists, composers, presenters,
scriptwriters, ...) and get their permission.  This was a monumental task.

> I emailed The Gadget Show maybe two months ago but have had no reply.

Silence does not mean "Yes you can" it means "No you can't" - that is
the way the law of copyright has been re-written.  At one time you hard
to state that you wanted to exert your copyright rights, if you didn't
say then the work was in the public domain by default.  However, in
the '20s if I remember it was changed to be on by default.  Now you have
to say that you want your creations in the public domain from the get
go.