[Sussex] Unbinding Apache from an IP

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Fri Feb 3 17:33:57 UTC 2006

Al Bennett wrote:

> I've got an unmanaged box somewhere in Texas that hosts a couple of
> domains. It's got four usable IPs assigned to it, I'd like one of them
> to not have Apache on port 80 so I can put something else there.  I've
> modified the apache config (attached - names and IP changed to protect
> the guilty and most of the virtual hosts trimmed out for legibility,
> they're all the same) but for the life of me I can't get apache to let
> go of this IP.  netstat -l still shows it bound to *:80

A quick skim through indicates that all is well. I'm not sure quite why
it's binding to multiple addresses. You've very clearly told it not to.

Is there anything listed in /etc/httpd/conf.d? It's possible that cpanel
has added an additional file with a different "Listen" directive.

> The box is CentOS with Cpanel (not what I really wanted but choice was
> limited and time tight!)

*shudder* :P

How did you restart apache? Make sure you totally stop the service and
restart it (service httpd stop; sleep 1; service httpd start) as a
reload/graceful/etc won't close open filehandles, and as such the apache
process will still cling onto the *:80 binding.

Hear you Sunday ;)

Jon
--
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com>     direct: +44 1483 739615
  Technical Account Manager            office: +44 1483 300169