[Sussex] Need a new web host

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 15:00:43 UTC 2006

Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 10:45:55 +0000
> Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>>yeah, I've also got a ByteMark VM. the only problem I have is with
>>Spamassassin - it doesn't seem to play nicely on my machine -
>>although this could be because the UML system has 64MB of RAM, and
>>I'm trying to load 70+MB of rulesets... hmm.. ;)
>

> They do 80MB RAM for the basic package now... don't know if you can
> cajole them into giving you the extra??? :-)
>
> I use amavisd-new to encapsulate both spamassassin checks and clamav /
> bitdefender scans.  Had to remove one of the big rulesets because it
> was hogging RAM and this was a 128MB machine so I'm not surprised
> your 64MB was struggling. If you're using clamav, it happily filters out
> some specific spam types (phishing, etc) so you can potentially slim
> down some of your rulesets(?).

I'm not a fan of using extra apps where they're not required (i.e. Exim
does spam/virus scanning itself) - but I understand that it might be
useful to push the scanning away from the MTA as much as possible (the
1st thing to die when spamassassin threw a wobbly was exim, followed by
Dovecot (IMAP service)).

> Greylisting was the biggy for me - very low resource cost and makes a
> huge difference to your spam intake, with negligible inconvenience.
> Tried it?

Yeah, I tried greylisting ~18 months ago. It did work well, but I didn't
like the fact that it slowed down email quite significantly from certain
sites (gmail, hotmail, etc all got stressed with greylisting).

Perhaps it's worth another look...

Jon
--
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com>     direct: +44 1483 739615
  Technical Account Manager            office: +44 1483 300169