[Sussex] Interesting auditor's question

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Fri Jan 13 02:12:16 UTC 2006

Hi all,

The subject line refers to an interesting question asked by an auditor,
not a question asked by an interesting auditor.

When the auditors started their annual duties, they were asking all
sorts of things, but one question stood out: "Do any members of staff
have access to the source code of your accounting software?"

We had to answer "no".

Next question: "Do any members of staff have the skills necessary to
alter the source code if they had access to it?"

Answer "yes" & our resident geek commented that he would love to get his
hands on the code & then he could stop our accounting software being a
pile of cr*p.

Does this indicate an increased awareness of open source software or has
some bright spark somewhere screwed a company's accounts by messing
around?

Gavin.