[Sussex] Fw: Fedora 4 SCSI disk won't boot after upgrade from Fedora 3

Brendan Whelan b_whelan at mistral.co.uk
Thu Jan 19 15:36:36 UTC 2006

Hello,

A few weeks ago I upgraded a Fedora Core 3 to a Fedora Core 4 system. I used a Dell server and a 36GB SCSI disk. I repeated the exercise, to check my notes and as a trial prior to going to site. This time, I used the same server but a 73GB SCSI drive. Everything went as expected until I tried to reboot the upgraded system when I got:

"MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC"
No volume groups found
Unable to find volume group "VolGroup00"
ERROR: /bin/lvm exited abnormally with value 5! (pid329)
Mount:error 6 mounting ext3

Earlier in the output there was:
kernel /vmlinux_2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
acpi=off quiet

I tried the SCSI disk in another, older, server and got similar results.

Any suggestions as to how I can recover the disk i.e. get it to boot?

Brendan