[Sussex] Video encoding under Linux

Andrew Guard andrew at andrewguard.com
Fri Jan 27 10:05:59 UTC 2006

Steve Dobson wrote:
> Diego
>
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 01:38:21PM +0000, Diego Moore wrote:
>
>>Has anyone got any experience with encoding video on linux?
>

> Me for one.  I use a Hauppauge PVR-350 for hardware encoding/decoding
> to/from MPEG2.

I use Hauppauge PVR-150, there are cheaper cards then Hauppauge ones,
but Hauppauge cards have a good quilty MPEG 2 encoders.  The PVR-150 is
there lowest price card but I would recomend it.  I connect my video
from Sky Digi box Scart connection to PVR-150 on the composite
connection then S-Video, I think via the composite you get better picture.

Also Hauppauge is keen to have there hardware on Linux something which I
can not say about some of the cheaper ones.  You are looking at price
range between £50-£200 on a Hauppauge card.  I would check on there web
site first for Linux support but think they are all supported on Linux
but I havent had look.

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/