[Sussex] Two operating systems & one camera...

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 22:37:09 UTC 2006

Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> writes:

>> > sudo passwd
>>
>> That sets root's passwd to something.
>>
>> But you also need to config sudo so that it asks for the root password
>> instead of the user password.
>>

> I don't think the OP was asking for that. I think they wanted to switch to
> the traditional "root for admin" "user for use". Where you switch to root to
> install stuff for example.

Yes. And to do that with the least fuss on ubuntu you need to set the
root password and change sudo so that it asks for the root passwd
instead of the user password.

Then using sudo is just like using:   su -c '...'

The only other way he could achieve this is by altering the links to
each program from sudo to su. But doing that is unreliable because as
soon as the package is upgraded it'll be back to sudo.

So instead, config sudo to behave the way you want it to.

> I'd agree that sudo is the best way though :)

Conventional sudo (user password to authenticate + rules in the
sudoers file) is the best way, yes.  /8->

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk   for all your tapsell ferrier needs