[Sussex] Two operating systems & one camera...

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sat Jul 15 15:43:36 UTC 2006

On Saturday 15 July 2006 15:53, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> John D. wrote:
> > Well I'd already managed to "activate" the root password and also made it
> > so that I can log into root graphically (sorry, I'm too much a "child of
> > GUI" not to have that ability), but when I did try to change the
> > /etc/sudoers file to that the line that starts with "Defaults" has rootpw
> > in it as well I just all that nonsense about it being a read only file
> > etc.
>
> Once you can login as root or "su" to root with the "su -" command then you
> don't need to do *anything* with sudo or the sudoers file.
>
> There are two ways of being a privileged user in *nix, one is to be root
> (at which point you are Ghod!). The other is to use "sudo <some command>"
> as your normal user. Who can use sudo and exactly what they can do with it
> is controlled by /etc/sudoers.
>
> It seems you are mixing up the two.
>
> Also note that /etc/sudoers should be edited with a special version of vi
> named visudo, this does clever things with the file permissions and makes
> sure that only one person is editing it at a time and that half changed
> versions don't get used by accident.
Actually I managed to do it "graphically" Colin i.e. log in as root, change
perms so that the owner can read and write then follow the rootsudo document
and add rootpw to the "defaults" line (I don't get what the other bits in the
default line are though, but they're still there - I'm unsure as to whether I
should have got rid of them or not).

Also I was unsure as to whether change all of the "ALL" bits further down in
the /etc/sudoers file or not, too root?

regards

John D.