[Sussex] July moot

Al Bennett al at plasticfish.co.uk
Wed Jul 19 10:44:26 UTC 2006

Hey Gavin

Good topic, I think the key is to ease people into it, so I guess there's
two things I'd suggest:

Firstly, users don't have to follow the penguin exclusively, there are ways
to play with Linux in an easy and non-harmful to Windows fashion, ie Knoppix
and VMWware/other virtualisation stuff (my girlfriend is getting good at
booting Knoppix to fix problems with her Windows box, for example, it
managed to mount a damaged floppy that Windows didn't like).

Secondly, the penguin can be introduced by the back door, starting by
following the Fox (of Fire) and the birdies (of the Thunder and OpenOffice
varieties) and the rest of the animals of the ark.  Once all your apps are
open then using an open OS isn't such a huge step.

I'm sure you'll get other "contributions and pearls of wisdom" on the night!

Good luck!

Al