[Sussex] Fwd: MythTV & getting it to work

linux at oneandoneis2.org linux at oneandoneis2.org
Mon Jul 24 08:47:41 UTC 2006

Attempt #2 at getting this email sent :o)

----- Forwarded message from linux at oneandoneis2.org -----
Hi all,

I know a few people have got working Myth boxes, so I'm hoping
somebody can offer some advice.

We've been trying to get Myth working on & off for a few months. We've
got two Hauppauge PCI cards - a simple WinTV analogue card, and an
analgue+digital HVR one that only became supported with kernel 2.6.16

The problem is, whilst we can get myth installed just fine, and the
hardware appears to be recognised & in working order, Myth never
actually finds any channels or allows us to watch any TV.

Much as I hate to confess to distro-hopping in hopes of one "just
working", we've tried Gentoo, Ubuntu & KnoppMyth. Oh, and Knoppix 5.01
just on the off-chance.

We've done kernel upgrades and all sorts: lspci and dmesg make it
clear that the cards are detected & recognised and the drivers are
there & working. But the only way we've managed to actually get a TV
picture out of them was to install Windows XP and use the Hauppauge
software, and we both *refuse* to accept that as an option :o)

So: We've got hardware that demonstrably works, and that is supported
under Linux, verified by dmesg telling us they're there & the drivers
are installed. And yet Myth still can't seem to do anything with them.
Are we missing something blindingly obvious?

Any help most gratefully received

Dominic

----- End forwarded message -----