[Sussex] Linux sysadmin required for occasional work

Stephen Khoo stephen at khoosys.net
Tue Jul 25 08:03:17 UTC 2006

Hi all

We are looking for someone to be able to look after our internet servers
on an "on-call" occasional basis.
Our approach is to keep our organisation small and outsource our
requirements to trusted associates. For example, our mail serving is now
completely outsourced.
However, we would like someone who is able to do the usual kind of admin
required for pretty-well standard LAMP servers.
There are a few other custom image extensions, htdig etc. but apart from
that nothing too difficult. The servers rsync with each other and some
replicate MySQL.
So this job is a bit like an anesthetist - 95% nothing required and 5%
panic! But huge responsibility, trust and skill required for those 5%.

Panic is when a hard drive on the RAID fails - or maybe 2 at once - like
we once had! Or if the server just simply stops for no real reason -
maybe fans broken and overheating etc. So you may need to power cycle,
restart servers, clear files, kill processes, switch to backup machines
by mapping IPs,  or whatever required to get services running again.

If you have experience of this - or know someone who does - and can be
trusted to do this kind of work responsibly, please give us a call and
let's discuss working arrangement, fees etc. See our contact details at end.

Stephen Khoo

<http://www.khoosys.net>

*Khoo Systems Limited <http://www.khoosys.net>*
website development, hosting and email