[Sussex] FYI: HantsLUG meet this Saturday in Southampton.

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Jun 1 22:38:43 UTC 2006

See below. Everyone welcome!

-------

                              From:
Tony Whitmore
<tony at tonywhitmore.co.uk>
                                To:
Hampshire LUG Discussion List
<hants at mailman.lug.org.uk>
                           Subject:
[hants] [ADMIN] Speaker schedule and
meeting reminder
                              Date:
Sun, 28 May 2006 20:37:45 +0100

When: 3rd June 2006, 10:30am - 4:30pm
Where: Seminar Room 1, ECS Building, Southampton University. [1]
What: Bring-a-box with talks. Meeting notes at [2].

I'm the only person signed up to do a greeting slot[3] and we had a
similar situation last time around. If you've been to a couple of LUG
meetings and haven't ever helped out, why not sign up to be a Greeter
for an hour? It's easy and is a great way to help out with the running
of a LUG meeting. Otherwise I feel we have to question the
sustainability of the greeting scheme, especially as it's the same
people who sign up to help out over and over again. Why not make this
time different?

If you want to use the wireless network, e-mail Hugo Mills
(hugo at carfax.org.uk) your MAC address by 4:30pm on Friday 2nd June.

*N.B:* You will not be able to use the normal entrance to Zepler
building, but will have to go round the back to the door opposite the
main entrance. We hope to have posters with arrow signs up, but
basically you need to come in where the green arrow is on the map[4].
The red arrow indicates the normal entrance.

As no-one came forward to volunteer a talk (and the LUG members I
e-mailed didn't reply) there will only be three talks.

* 12:30pm - Introduction to the Semantic Web - Hugo Mills
* 1:30pm - Introduction to Perl: The friendly programming language -
Adam Trickett
* 2:30pm - Wireless Networking on Linux - Tony Whitmore

Hugo kicks off the talks by giving us an introduction to the Semantic
Web. It's one of Hugo's many areas of expertise and is an idea led my
Sir Tim Berners-Lee. Adam is going to be introducing people to the
ubiquitous Perl programming and scripting language, which is used on
just about every Linux system in the world (and many non-Linux systems
too). Finally, I'm going to be talking about wireless networking on
Linux. Everything from choosing a wireless network card, which drivers
to use and how to secure your wireless connection on Linux will be
covered.

Remember to shout if you need a lift or help getting there. Bring food!
See you there!

Tony

[1] http://www.hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SeminarRoom1
[2] http://www.hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MeetingNotes