[Sussex] CD label software

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sun Mar 12 07:15:18 UTC 2006

Gavin

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 01:38 +0000, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> I am just starting to get down to some serious audio work again & I was
> wondering if anyone had any recommendations for apps that do nice CD
> jewel case front & back labels & can import images?

It all depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it.

Colin is a package maintainer of software to print the CD labels so as a
debian user yourself you could be one of his users.

However, when we were printing labels for the BCF CDs we used a number
of methods which all boiled down to custom templates for a document
editor (OOo & latex).

If I were doing it again now I would use inkscape.  It is a Scalable
Vectory Grapghics (SVG) editor that will allow you to import bit-map
graphics too.  There are plenty of examples about (take a look for files
ending in svg on your own system ["locate svg | grep svg$"] and there
are examples all over the web.

SVG does talk a bit of getting use to, but I think it is worth the
effort.  I've just started using it to do the slides for a talk I am
giving in April and if can do that I am sure that it will do your CD
designs too.