[Sussex] xev ?

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sun Mar 12 07:53:27 UTC 2006

On Saturday 11 March 2006 17:40, Steven Dobson wrote:
> John
>
> On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 17:02 +0000, John D. wrote:
> > This months linux format, has a reply to someone who's asking about
> > setting up multi button mice.
>
> I have my mouse configured that way - but I might take a look at it more
> closely as I have an extra button that I don't know what to do with yet.
>
> > The response to the letter mentions using the command "xev" in a terminal
> > when the window is active.
>
> I know that command, I've been using it for years.
>
> > My problem is that I'm getting "command not found" as both user and root.
> >
> > Is xev part of some sort of toolkit or similar ?
>>
> xev (X Event) is part of the standard X11 set.  I've been around ever
> since I started playing with X11 - which is a go few years now (must be
> something like 15).
>
> On my Debian system it is installed in /usr/bin/X11 (but you can also
> get to via /usr/X11R6/bin).  Are either of these in your path?
Hum? confusion reigns!

When I look in /usr theres a link to X11R6/bin. I don't always follow the
jargon - "in my path" is something I've read but I'm not sure what or how
you're refering to it as.

If I try (what seems logical to me) cd /usr/X11R6/bin and then issue the xev
command, I'm still getting "command not found" as both user and root.

If the  xev command is for "X event" how do I run it so that it actually waits
for that "X event" of me clicking the button(s) to see if the system is
getting anything from them (obviously it's seeing input from some of the
buttons, but it's the "thumb" button that I was trying to make work.

The mouse entry in my xorg.conf looks like this

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

Now I'm also a little confused as to whether my mouse qualifies as a 5, 6 or 7
button mouse. It has the usual 2 main buttons, a thumb button and a clickable
scroll wheel - the confusion is whether the clickable wheel is 2 or 3 buttons
(like whether it's scroll is 2 buttons i.e. scroll up is 1 and scroll down is
the 2nd).

Because that would make it either a 5 or 6 button mouse (so maybe the
ZAxisMapping should be "5 6" or even "4 5" and not the "6 7" option that the
system has auto selected.

Ha! there doesn't even seem to be a man page for xev to see if I could
decypher what it might be trying to tell me!

regards
John D.