[Sussex] [OT] Solaris and Hardware

Rob Malpass rob at malpass133.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Mar 18 14:08:21 UTC 2006

Hi all

Two hardware questions:

1) I've just acquired (generous office chucking stuff out) a Sun Ultra 5
workstation - but I've never played with one before and my solaris is rusty:
1a) How do I determine its HD size?   Note it's been formatted with Solaris
8 but I don't know if all HDD has been used.   No idea about Sparc BIOS -
any ideas?   Also, is du still the best way of determining how much free
space there is?

2) Networking.   I have two broadband connections via two routers on the
same network.   Wanadoo have just axed their news server (without telling
us) so I can't send usenet messages except by paying.   However ntlworld (my
other ISP) still have one.   Trouble is, if I switch my settings to shove
all traffic through ntlworld, I can't send mail from Wanadoo (because not
Wanadoo subnet).   Catch 22 - if I shove all my stuff through Wanadoo - no
access to ntlworld's news server (wrong subnet).   I realise I could just
use one PC for news, one for mail etc but that's a bit of a faff which got
me thinking...

Way back when I didn't have a router I had two NICs in one box - one for the
home LAN, one for the cablemodem (that's how long ago it was).   What's to
stop me connecting a second NIC in my main box, configuring one for Wanadoo
and the other for ntlworld.   Anyone know what would happen?   Would it know
automatically where to route traffic?

Cheers
Rob

P.S. Sorry this is a bit ot