[Sussex] B.B.C. Backstage

Phil Slade philslade at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 18:40:10 UTC 2006

quote
  "1. Who is backstage.bbc.co.uk for?
backstage.bbc.co.uk is for individual developers and designers to
build things using BBC content and anyone who has an idea for how to
use BBC content in new ways. It is not for big corporates to play
around with. backstage.bbc.co.uk is for non-commercial use by the
little people.

2. Why is the BBC 'doing' backstage.bbc.co.uk?
backstage.bbc.co.uk is part of the BBC's wider remit to "build public
value" by sharing our content for others to use creatively. How do you
"build public value"? One of the ways is through supporting innovation
as the BBC Governors response to the Graf report of BBC online makes
clear:

"The BBC will support social innovation by encouraging users' efforts
to build sites and projects that meet their needs and those of their
communities ... The BBC will also be committed to using open standards
that will enable users to find and repurpose BBC content in more
flexible ways".

backstage.bbc.co.uk aims to promote innovation amongst the design and
developer community: if people are able to do interesting, productive
things with the content then we'd like to support them. Finally and as
a useful by-product of the above, backstage.bbc.co.uk is an
opportunity to identify talent in the online community.

3. What will the BBC do with my ideas/prototypes? Will the BBC make
any claim over my work or 'steal' my idea?
When you submit your idea or prototype we will take a look at it,
check it over to make sure it complies with the RSS licence and/or the
API Licence and Terms of Use and, if it does, then we'll publish the
url on the Backstage website, a description of what you've done and
then we will notify you that your idea or prototype is published. If
there is a problem then we'll get in touch with you.

You will own the copyright in any prototype you develop and send to
the BBC for publication on the Backstage website. If we like it and
want to use it other than in association with the Backstage website
then we would have to come to an agreement with you first.

As a rule of thumb there is no copyright in an idea so it's wise to
remember that backstage.bbc.co.uk is a public forum. Please don't
submit any ideas you don't want other people to be able to use or
build on. For more information on intellectual property rights
including copyright a good place to start is

Phil.