[Sussex] FC5 - PHP not connecting to MySQL

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Fri May 5 08:42:50 UTC 2006

Brendan Whelan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a clean installation of Fedora Core 5 where PHP cannot connect to
> the MySQL database.
> phpinfo shows that PHP was built "--without-mysql" so I suppose that I
> have to rebuild PHP with :
>
> ./configure --with-mysql
> make
> make install
>
> A few questions: do I need to add all the parameters or just the
> "--with-mysql"?

*shudder* Isn't that about to become a maintenance nightmare? How are
you going to track the security vulns found in PHP across a number of
machines? While I know I'm about to get flamed for this, you really
shouldn't be compiling stuff like this straight from source, it's an SAs
nightmare. If you don't want to use the FC5 RPMs for php, and PHP's
MySQL support, then at least build PHP into an RPM so you can upgrade it
at a later date...

Oh, and as my good friend 'yum search php-mysql' just told me:

php-mysql.i386                           5.1.2-5                core
Matched from:
php-mysql
The php-mysql package contains a dynamic shared object that will add
MySQL database support to PHP. MySQL is an object-relational database
management system. PHP is an HTML-embeddable scripting language. If
you need MySQL support for PHP applications, you will need to install
this package and the php package.

It's wonderful, these search tools that we've been provided with...

/j
--
Jon Fautley RHCE, RHCX <jfautley at redhat.com>   direct: +44 1483 739615
  Technical Account Manager                     office: +44 1483 300169