[Sussex] FC5 - PHP not connecting to MySQL

Brendan Whelan b_whelan at mistral.co.uk
Fri May 5 09:34:42 UTC 2006

Jon/Ronan - I am not trying to start a major debate all I want to do is get
PHP to talk to MySQL in as simple and standard a way as possible.
I will look at my Outlook Express and concert it to Text.

Brendan
Hi Jon

On Fri, 05 May 2006 09:42:47 +0100
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com> wrote:

> Brendan Whelan wrote:
> > A few questions: do I need to add all the parameters or just the
> > "--with-mysql"?
>
> *shudder* Isn't that about to become a maintenance nightmare? How are
> you going to track the security vulns found in PHP across a number of
> machines? While I know I'm about to get flamed for this, you really

Not flamed, just quizzed!!!  I think that's a bit over the top,
personally.

> shouldn't be compiling stuff like this straight from source, it's an
> SAs nightmare. If you don't want to use the FC5 RPMs for php, and

Here's some reasons why compiling from source is useful:-

1. You CAN track security vulnerabilities - you have the option of
compiling a new bugfixed version of the software as soon as the
distributor makes it available.  This can be much quicker than waiting
until your distribution has an updated package, although with
mainstream packages like PHP, the turnaround is pretty quick.  Its more
work for the SA but its perfectly doable.  What about distributions
like Slackware, which has only a very rudimentary package system (as I
understand it - never used it myself - correct me if I'm wrong) and is
based on the administrator compiling from source?

2. A huge advantage of compiling from source is that you can trim down
the software so that it does exactly what you want and nothing else.
Although with PHP, distributions package up everything as modules so
you can trim it down, but for more experienced users who want to fine
tune their build, compiling from source is extremely useful.  You might
want to link against a different library or compile a particularly
esoteric of custom module for example.

3. Brendan doesn't say that this is a server I don't think.  What if
this is a development machine?  Developers have very legitimate reasons
for compiling from source.

4. You can track compile changes across multiple hosts.  Whats against
creating a deb or rpm package of your build and updating them all with
that?  In fact debian has the checkinstall script which allows you to
do exactly this.

> PHP's MySQL support, then at least build PHP into an RPM so you can
> upgrade it at a later date...
>
> Oh, and as my good friend 'yum search php-mysql' just told me:
>
> php-mysql.i386                           5.1.2-5                core
<snip>

I'm sure Brendan is aware that php is available in his package list,
but he probably has perfectly good reasons for doing the compile
himself.  PHP, particularly the 5.x releases is a fast changing
language and as such, it can be very useful to know whats on the
horizon!!

Cheers
--
Ronan
e: ronan at thelittledot.com
t: 01903 739 997

This email has been digitally signed using GNUPG to verify the identity
of the sender. Please see http://www.gnupg.org/ for further information.