[Sussex] Draytek router configuration

Al Bennett al at plasticfish.co.uk
Tue May 9 17:32:42 UTC 2006

Evening all

OK, so I've acquired a Draytek 2800G ADSL router which looks the part but
actually seems to be pretty crappy.  I'm trying to find out how best to set
the damn thing up to do what I want it to, so if anyone has any experience
with Draytek routers I'd appreciate some pointers!

What I'm trying to set up is a simple network of two Windows NATted PCs
which receive IPs via DHCP from the router and a Debian server which has a
static IP.  We've got 5 usable IPs from Zen Internet and I'd like one of
them to go to the Debian box but that box still to be accessible from the
two windows PCs (my first attempt at setting this up had full access for the
server but no way to talk to the different subnets).

To me this seems simple enough for a £160 router to handle but for the life
of me I can't get it all working.  I've got it to the point now where the
PCs get IPs and happily chat to each other, I've assigned a private IP to
the server (in the 192.168.1.xxx range) and now PCs and server talk (I
think, not very well tested).

What I can't get to work is the external IP address forwarded to the
internal server address.  I've presently got it set up using some form port
forwarding but it seems to work unreliably.  Sometimes I can connect using
the external IP, sometimes not.

Does anyone have any idea how I should be doing this and if I'm at all near
the mark?

TIA!

Al