[Sussex] Low price laptops

Geoffrey J Teale gteale at cmedresearch.com
Tue May 23 15:47:54 UTC 2006

Dave,

Frankly unless you have an extremely tight budget then second hand
laptops are a false economy (they aren't that much cheaper than new
ones).  The big question is "is it going to be a linux box?".  If it's
not then a quick browse around the web will find you something around
300 quid that will work.

If you do want a linux box then Lenovo have started shipping a budget
range (branded as Lenovo 3000 rather than IBM ThinkPad) which have the
same components inside as the more expensive ThinkPad models (but look
more akin to a Dell Latitude from around 5 years ago in terms of styling
and build quality).  Those components work well with Linux (I know,
they're the basis of the ThinkPad's we ship for our current roleouts).
Shop around and you can get these machines for a little over 400 quid.

--
Geoff Teale

--
G. J. Teale
Software Engineering Team Leader

Cmed Group Ltd.
Holmwood, Broadlands Business Campus,
Langhurstwood Road, Horsham, RH12 4QP, United Kingdom

T +44(0)1403 755 071
F +44(0)1403 755 051
M +44(0)7914 850 491
E gteale at cmedresearch.com
W www.cmedresearch.com

Driven by technology. Guided by experience.