[Sussex] Encryption for laptop use

Dominic Humphries linux at oneandoneis2.org
Tue May 30 12:48:24 UTC 2006

Quoting John Crowhurst <fyremoon at fyremoon.net>:

> Have a look at truecrypt.org as you can create encrypted volumes or
> loopback filesystems. Alternatively, there is this tutorial:
> http://www.greenleaftech.net/articles/filesystemcrypt

I've got Ubuntu installed at the moment, and it's refusing to let me
install truecrypt so far: I can't apt-get build-essential. I'll give
the tutorial a go when I get a minute, cheers!

> If your laptop gets stolen, it would more likely be reformatted and
> Windows installed on it.

That depends how knowledgeable the thief is, I suppose. . . I have
heard of stolen laptops being abandoned when the thief couldn't figure
out how to get past the Grub/Lilo menu ;o)