[Sussex] A Vista of opportunity

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Wed Nov 1 01:08:52 UTC 2006

/etc/init.d/badpun kill

Further to the discussion at the moot, a brief recap for the list on the
topic of the opportunities I can see opening up to introduce more people
to GNU/Linux at home:

I have spoken to quite a few "ordinary" home computer users & nearly all
of them are unhappy at the prospect of Windows Vista. They complain
about the cost of upgrading & even the least knowledgeable of them
comment that Vista will mean either that their current PC will run less
well or that they will have to upgrade their hardware.

I perceive that this presents us with a very strong opportunity to
introduce such people to GNU/Linux.

I would like to throw a few ideas into the ring & hear what others
think:

1: Some sort of open event where people could see Linux in action.

2: Question & Answers, possibly at the same event.

3: To install Linux on the PCs of those who are interested.

Like I say, a few ideas to kick around.

I really feel that this could be the best chance we've had to help
ordinary computer users to follow the penguin.

Gavin.