[Sussex] A Vista of opportunity

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Wed Nov 1 10:24:21 UTC 2006

** Desmond Armstrong <desmond.armstrong at gmail.com> [2006-11-01 08:22]:
> I also perceive that the prospect of Vista will open up the opportunity
> to remove that awful system and to replace it with far better.
> I have personnally been installing Linux on users home machines, and in
> their homes, for some years now. It does mean that I have to do a lot of
> work with them and do normally do the maintenance, but, the time that I
> spend with them is actually less than that previously required to
> maintain the other system.
> For me Mandriva 2006 Full Version is superb and very complete in terms
> of hardware support.
> Mandriva 2007 is too buggy and is not to be used at present. When I
> install I also do some additional updates including OpenOffice, now
> 2.0.4 also Limewire, Google Earth and Picasa. One limitation is that we
> really do require broadband largely because software dial up modems are
> extremely difficult, and for the updates.

Windows needs broadband too these days for much the same reasons -
updates. I also find that a good number of AV packages really don't like
not being on broadband due to update size or the mechanism for
downloading them. I think a lot of (Windows) programmers are getting very
lazy these days - weren't hey always ;) After all think of the advances
made in programs that ran on the ZX Spectrum with no hardware upgrades
at all as programmers got to know how to make the best use of resources.

** end quote [Desmond Armstrong]

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com