[Sussex] A Vista of opportunity

linux at oneandoneis2.org linux at oneandoneis2.org
Wed Nov 1 11:35:14 UTC 2006

Quoting Gavin Stevens <starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net>:

> Like I say, a few ideas to kick around.
>
> I really feel that this could be the best chance we've had to help
> ordinary computer users to follow the penguin.

I've always thought that the OpenCD (http://www.theopencd.org/) was a
good way to ease Windows users into the whole open-source thing: It's
got the Windows versions of all the cool open-source software like
Firefox, OpenOffice, Gimp, and so forth.

If your average home PC user can switch to using all-OpenCD software
on their familiar Windows machine, they'll then be able to switch to
Linux knowing that all the apps they're familiar with are available to
them.

Firefox is particularly good in that respect, IMHO: You can copy your
Windows profile across to Linux and all your extensions, preferences,
history, passwords etc will be right there when you start up FF. Use
Google's synchronizer extension to keep the two linked and you've got
the perfect dual-boot browser. . .