[Sussex] Exim4....

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 16:40:10 UTC 2006

Steven Dobson wrote:
> Mark
>
> On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 14:23 +0000, Mark Harrison wrote:
>
>> How do I create a “dummy mailbox” into which I can automatically
>> divert mail to certain “bogus addresses” that I know are only used by
>> spammers.
>>
>> I have the lines:
>>   sales: junk
>>   mph: junk
>>   accounts: junk
>>
>> In my /etc/aliases, so I need to know how to create a “junk” box that
>> will auto-delete everything rather than hang around taking up
>> disk-space.
>>

> The lines in your aliases file redirect email from sales, mph & accounts
> (which may or may not be users accounts) to the mailbox of the user junk
> (unless you have another line in your aliases files that points "junk"
> at another user).

I can't speak for exim, but for sendmail and postfix, it's easy to point
/etc/ailiases entries to a file like this:

    sales: /var/spambox/received

Then that file can be parsed to train your spam filters, or you could
make the file "/dev/null" in order to simply discard it. Doesn't exim
use the same syntax for aliases file?