[Sussex] [Fwd: SLUG news for Linux format]

Mark Harrison Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Fri Nov 3 09:14:59 UTC 2006

> we'd need around 300 words

Here you are - total words: 291

The Sussex Linux User Group has been active for many years.

It does all the things you'd expect from a Linux user group - a mailing
list, monthly meetings, and a willingness to discuss any aspect of Linux and
FLOSS software, whether from a technical or advocacy perspective.

In addition, the LUG is active in promoting Linux at local computer fairs
(in Worthing and sometimes Crawley), where it not only demonstrates Linux in
action, but gives out a "Sussex Linux" CD-ROM for anyone interested.

The group meets monthly, on the last Thursday of each month (except
December), in Horsham.

Each meeting has a formal presentation of some aspect of Linux, followed by
a general discussion.

In November, the presentation will be about the DamnSmallLinux distribution,
which several of the members are using for a variety of embedded projects.

January sees a presentation about Blogging.

While some of the LUG, inevitably, work in IT, the majority of people at the
average meeting don't, with a mix of employed and retired people ranging
from those in their 20s to those in their 60s.

Because the meetings are held in a private club, it is necessary to book in
advance, though you can do so on the LUG's website at any time up till
lunchtime on the day of the moot.

And yes, they really call them moots, which in case you're wondering has two
meanings - as a noun in means "an assembly of the people in early England",
as a verb it means "to present or introduce a point for discussion" - which
covers the meetings nicely.

For more information, to subscribe to the mailing list, and to check the
dates and venues of the next meeting, visit the LUG's website at
www.sussex.lug.org.uk