[Sussex] external hard drives - much confusion.

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Sat Nov 4 17:47:08 UTC 2006

John D. wrote:

> It's one of the many that says it only supports windows and mac.

Ignore that, they are just talking about drivers which you don't need.

> If I try to connect it via USB, I can see, by doing "tail /var/log/messages"
> that it appears to be seen as a scsi emulated device on one of the USB ports
> but nothing else.

Yes, that is correct, external usb hard drives are done as emulated scsi.

Depending on which distro you are running it may get auto mounted. Take a
look in /etc/mtab and see if the drive mentioned in /var/log/messages has
been mounted, if not then try adding a line like:

/dev/sda1      /media/usbdrive vfat    rw,users,noauto  0       0

to /etc/fstab

You will need to be root to edit it and you need to make sure that the mount
point (/media/usbdrive in the example above) exists and is world read/write.

after that you should be able to type "mount /media/usbdrive" as any user
and it should mount it.

> I've tried having the jumper on the back of the HDD set in both master/slave,
> cable select and not having one on it at all.

Leave it as master.

> Can anyone advise me, as to how I might get this working ?

Alternatively bring it to the BCF tomorrow and we can try to sort it out.

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

Some people drink at the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.