[Sussex] external hard drives - much confusion.

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sun Nov 5 15:34:50 UTC 2006

-----%<-----
> If you're comming to the BCF tomorrow then I would recommed that you get
> yourself a USB 2 PCI card - that will help a lot with the speed and be
> much easier than getting it set up as a NAS disk.
> Still, we can have a look tomorrow.
> Steve
Thanks to all who offered suggestions in how I might get this external HDD
configured.

Especially to "Lord Dobson of LUG" :D who kindly plugged it in to one of the
available laptops at the BCF and managed to access the devices browser based
config page and put all the right stuff in the right boxes, enabling me to
get it home and plug it in and access it straight away.

Brilliant, cheers Steve.

I'd tried all the suggestions in the user manual (even installing the software
on my partners laptop to see if I could config it via W98SE) to no avail.

Setting "it" up, is easy if you know what you're doing, but it's not really a
beginners device to use under linux.

Now all I have to do, is to see if I can get away with just using FTP to
transfer my backups to it or whether I'll have to go through the drama of
learning how to set up samba to do the same thing.

regards

John D.