[Sussex] Ubuntu v Debian [was: Argos Catalogue surprise]

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Nov 11 03:22:13 UTC 2006

Nik

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 23:51 +0000, Nik Butler wrote:

> > Looked again at the log file - still reported wacom problems?!?!?!?!?
> > So I looked at the date stamp of the log file - it was old.  Not from
> > the reboot.  So without any clue as to what the problem was and because
> > I didn't have my workstation to surf the Net I gave up on Ubuntu.
> >
> and you didnt call on your friendly neighbourhood Ubuntu Buddy ?

No!  I had more or less made up my mind to return by 64-bit workstation
back to Debian.  It isn't that Ubuntu isn't as good as Debian - I would
guess that they are about the same.  Both have configured everything on
this this 64-bit system out of the box.

I also couldn't find any difference between them in terms of admin
tasks, although I did run Ubuntu for long enough to really find any
differences (except for that missing log file).

I'll stick with Debian because:

1). I am use to it.  True, Ubuntu works the same as far as I could tell
so there is nothing here that stops a switch over.

2). Debian is Free.  I know that I won't get any non-free packages
unless I configure apt to look at the non-free section.

3). I think it is important to support a distro that is developed
without commercial support.  As such Debian will always (after a length
discussion) do things for the right technical reasons.  Shutleworth is
after a distro that is aimed at the masses - there is nothing wrong with
that - but as an ultra-geek I want my distro to do things for the right
technical reasons.

As such I think Debian has a very strong roll to play in the Linux
world.  It will always show the commercial distros the best technical
solution to a problem, and thus keep them honest.

4). I have a local Debian mirror.  This is the biggest hurdle any distro
wanting my patronage has to overcome.  Installing any package from my
local mirror is just sooooo quick.