[Sussex] Argos Catalogue surprise

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 10:22:35 UTC 2006

Nic James Ferrier wrote:
> Steven Dobson <steve at dobson.org> writes:
>

>> The advantage of a published standard - Postscript.  All postscript
>> printers use the same generic driver.  Therefore a supplier only needs
>> to worry about testing his printer against the same driver all other
>> Postscript printers use.  Likewise the Linux printing subsystems also
>> needs only test one diver.
>>

> Doesn't change the fact that it's ridiculously difficult to setup and
> therefore a potential support issue.
>
> I raise this issue because we linux hackers often complain about
> hardware manufacturers not supplying hardware for us. But with
> printers at least I can see why - and it's our (the linux hackers)
> fault for not building good tools.
>
> Of course... that's also because printing is very boring. Otherwise
> we'd all be working on solving the problem.

Eric Raymond seems to agree with you, but I think it's a user interface
problem, not an underlying technology one now that CUPS has become more
stable. Look at http://catb.org/esr/writings/cups-horror.html for his
famous rant on this. I seem to be the only one who suggested additional
open source guidelines, rather than merely agreeing with his rant.