[Sussex] Simple cloning

Brendan Whelan b_whelan at mistral.co.uk
Tue Nov 14 09:33:52 UTC 2006

Thank you for the responses.

As Steve D noted when using  dd if=/dev/sda of /dev/sdb the output disk must
be at least as large as the input disk. I have found that the inevitable few
blocks difference in size, in 73GB, is enough to stop this working. I seem
to remember, that on occasions, there were problems with bad block
information.

Regarding using "cp" I had understood (possibly wrongly) that cp didn't
always give a perfect copy and that rsync was more reliable.
Would the cp command be cp -Ra  /dev/sda /dev/sdb   ?

I have found with proprietary disk copying programs that I get problems when
I upgrade/replace the hardware.

I will look at the other options suggested.
Once again thanks for the advice and I welcome any more comments or
suggestions.

Brendan