[Sussex] Code-writing methods

Brendan Whelan b_whelan at mistral.co.uk
Fri Nov 17 11:17:34 UTC 2006

I agree that comments are vital where something is complicated or a "clever"
bit of code is included. Almost all programs need to be changed, extended or
the code re-used at some point. If I pick up one of my own programs after
several months, or even years, I find that the comments help.

Programming languages vary and hence the amount of commenting needed should
be adjusted accordingly. I would suggest that PHP is an easier, and more
intuitive, language to learn that C. I first wrote a program in about 1968
using punched cards and FORTRAN II. (For the historians amongst you, I never
actually knew Charles Babbage but Ada Lovelace was a close friend). My
advice would be to choose a good language, keep code simple and adopt a
straightforward logical structure. That way you will be able to understand
your own programs and have others maintain them economically.

Brendan