[Sussex] PCI Dual Head Graphics Cards needed

Fay Zee fay.linux at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 17 22:23:41 UTC 2006

David wrote to say he is actually using Geforce FX5200 PCI
128MB 128-bit DDR With TV-Out Dual VGA Output
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/61650.
That one is £45 and out of stock on that site at the moment.

I was offered 15 matching second hand Color Graphics Predator Pro 2
PCI cards, but after an extensive search I couldn't find any
confirmation that they support Linux, so assume they don't.

So I'm still hunting.

My machines are Dell Optiplex GX110 PIII 866 256MB with PCI only (no AGP).
My monitors are 17" flat-fronted CRT Dell Trinitron SVGA.
If I want to use two of these monitors at 1024x768, or more if I can
get it, which output interfaces can I look for?
And would I need a special connector?

I see that there are various types of interfaces:
- VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)
- S-video output
- DVI-I - 29 pin combined DVI
- TV-out
- composite video output - RCA ( on supplied cable )

Given that I need 15, any other suggestions on the inexpensive side?

For example, these were recommended on the Desktop Multiplier site at
http://www.omni-ts.com/documentation/linux/desktop-multiplier-user-guide.pdf:
ATI Radeon 7000, 7500, 9000, 9200 series and X300
Matrox G400, G450, G550
NVidia GeForce MX 440, FX5200 and 6600 GT. Quadro FX 500/600
but I wouldn't know the best suppliers to try.

Any help welcome.