[Sussex] Some more thoughts on the Microsoft/Novel deal

Dominic Humphries linux at oneandoneis2.org
Sat Nov 18 21:39:43 UTC 2006

> I am waiting for the next announcement.
>
> "Microsoft have today announced that they will stop all further
> developement of the Windows operating system. Instead they will be
> providing subscription support for the Suse Linux O/S"

Funnily enough, I made a blog post speculating on those sort of lines:
http://geekblog.oneandoneis2.org/index.php/2006/11/03/ms_aamp_novell_the_opposite_of_what_you

Essentially reasoning that if MS sees the writing on the wall and wants to
get out of the OS business while it's still ahead of the game, it's got to
come up with an alternative to its own software before it can do so:
Because their stuff is proprietary, they can't get away with "We're not
supporting Windows any more, do it yourselves"

The thought of getting paid for allowing Linux to reach the point where
it's a valid alternative to a product MS no longer wants to be making
would, I suspect, appeal to them very much ;o)