[Sussex] Code-writing methods

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Sat Nov 18 21:49:35 UTC 2006

Richie Jarvis <richie at helkit.com> writes:

> And btw, I was previously commenting in the style of the 'bad' example
> Steve used - i.e. writing Pseudo-code first, and then writing in the
> real language - thanks for the clear and concise illustration of how not
> to do it - i'll try and behave in future!

Like most things, if this was always bad it wouldn't ever happen. The
reason it isn't always bad is that sometimes a system's constraints
include a language you're not used to.

For example, when I was asked to program in Ada a long time ago I used
to write a pseudo-C function to do the job and then fill in the Ada
around it.

Since the task was learning Ada my pseudo-C was useful; it was
pertinent to me since I understood C better than Ada at the time.

I still do this sometimes when I write code in a language I don't use
a lot but that has similar properties to another one I'm more familiar
with.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk   for all your tapsell ferrier needs