[Sussex] A beginner's guide to GNU/Linux

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedresearch.com
Thu Nov 30 17:17:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 17:10 +0000, Paul Tansom wrote:

> One of these days I really ought to try Emacs. So far my experience is
> basically starting it, then opening a new terminal and using ps to
> identify the process id to kill ;) I have been told the quite commands
> in the past, but never remember them.

:-)

Most newbies find the menu "File->Exit Emacs" useful in that regard.

Intermediate users know the default key-binding: C-x C-c

Advanced users probably type: M-x kill-emacs

I have ACPI working correctly so I just hit the power button when I want
to quit emacs :-P

> I guess starging my *nix life with vi gave it a bit of an advantage,
> otherwise I'd likely be as lost in that as I am with Emacs. The
> keybindings also seem to fit quite nicely with Mutt, which probably
> helped me switch from my first *nix mail client of Pine (can't stand
> that now!).

Yes - I don't think any argument based around emacs keybindings vs. vi
keybindings will ever come to a useful conclusion.  People get used to
things and find it hard to change, full stop.

vi is a perfectly valid choice of editor for most tasks - but it *is*
arcane and to this day there is no better way of saying "I love emacs"
than saying "I hate vi" :-)

--
Geoff Teale
Software Engineering Team Leader

Cmed Group Ltd.
Holmwood
Broadlands Business Campus
Langhurstwood Road
Horsham RH12 4QP
United Kingdom

T +44 (0)1403 755071
F +44 (0)1403 755051
E gteale at cmedresearch.com
W www.cmedresearch.com

Driven by technology. Guided by experience.