[Sussex] FreeNAS/Storage.

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sun Oct 1 18:58:23 UTC 2006

Hi list,

Dave Chapman kindly gave me an old desktop PC for use as a NAS box.

He'd even installed FreeNAS on it i.e. on the original hard drive, which, only
being 6 gig in size, is rather small for NAS.

It also came complete with a removeable caddy so I could add an additional
hard drive. I bought a reasonable sized (320 gig) ultra ATA hard drive for
it.

Dave even did the basic setup for me.

It now appears, that when the new HDD is in the caddy and plugged in to the
box, I'm unable to access the system.

If I remove the new HDD I can log in to the GUI (browser based) system fine.

Having looked around, I'm unable to find out how to see what's happening. Yes
I understand that it might be that the boxs' BIOS might not support a 320 gig
drive, but I thought that it should, theoretically, still show something.

Apparently not.

Because the box is only connected via ethernet, I have no (AFAIK) way of
accessing the BIOS to see if that might be the case.

Does anyone have any experience with such a system, and if so, how I might be
able to work out what the problem might be?

regards

John D.

p.s. Oh and as of this morning, I've managed to make a new convert to the
world of Linux - my aunt, who's in her late 70's, is now dual booting an
AMD64 Evesham system, XP and Kubuntu. She's happy with accessing both OS's
but it seems I'll have to go and do a few "lessons" on how to use the Kubuntu
and the various applications that she wants to use under linux!