[Sussex] Re: FreeNAS/Storage.

ar at f2s.com ar at f2s.com
Mon Oct 2 20:52:44 UTC 2006

Hi John

> It now appears, that when the new HDD is in the caddy and plugged in to the
> box, I'm unable to access the system.
>
> If I remove the new HDD I can log in to the GUI (browser based) system fine.
<snip>
> Because the box is only connected via ethernet, I have no (AFAIK) way of
> accessing the BIOS to see if that might be the case.

A couple of things you might be able to check before getting a PCI-ATA card...

Is the caddy on the same ribbon cable as the original 6Gb disk?  If so check
that the new disk jumpers aren't set to "Master", giving 2 masters on the same
cable, as that might stop the box from booting.  Or if there's a CDROM drive
fitted that the caddy shares a data cable with, the same check applies.

If the drive is set OK the next step is to see what the BIOS recognises: plug in
a monitor (borrow a humble graphics card if nec) and a PS/2 keyboard (don't
hot-plug PS/2, power down first).  Boot and you should see the makers' names
and/or model numbers of both hard drives: you may have to press Del and explore
a bit to find out what capacities the BIOS thinks it's seeing.

If the BIOS is boggling I'd expect it to ignore the drive: my guess is that it's
not booting due to bus conflict (jumpers not right).

Good luck
Anthony