[Sussex] firewalling/AV and kubuntu

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sat Oct 14 12:19:43 UTC 2006

Hi list,

My aunt (in her very late 70's) now has a dual boot winXP/kubuntu system,
installed by yours truly, after she got virus'd (might have been some other
similar problem - I don't know, I didn't repair/sort it).

The person who did the repair, apparently reaffirmed my suggestion that she
might be safer using a linux system for browsing/email and just retaining the
windows install for the digital photography stuff she does.

Her system is an AMD64 based one, which kubuntu installed on with no problems
at all (I actually did the partitioning with Partition Magic 8 - she seemed
happier me doing like that, as opposed to using Qparted or something
similar).

So the only issue seems to be one of firewalling and anti-virus (yes I have
explained that AV isn't quite as important/necessary on a linux install, but
she's so windows oriented at the moment etc etc).

Can anyone advise me as to which firewall is likely to be the easiest/most
straight forward to install and manage (I'm not always available to assist
with any problems she might have)?

Also, I'm presuming that ClamAV is going to be the AV answer, as it seems to
be pretty much the "industry standard"?

As ever, any advice and suggestions are greatfully appreciated.

regards

John D.