[Sussex] Pub quiz (was: What path does one take)

ar at f2s.com ar at f2s.com
Fri Oct 20 11:58:51 UTC 2006

> From: "Colin Pickard" <thedruid at thedruid.co.uk>
> > > You can take a machine down as a none privilege user with a
> > > single shell command.
> > [snip]
> > Your mission is to find one of:
> >  (1) the simplest command (least reliant on installed s/w)
> >  (2) the largest set of techniques we haven't seen before
> >  (3) the most concise successful Google search

> a non-privileged user can almost never make a machine unresponsive
> even for themselves, let alone others.

Give rogue browser 20 minutes to devour memory and swap, wait 5 minutes for a
prompt to kill the browser, allow linux 30 - 120 minutes to sort itself out,
ta-da back in business (usually)!  It's an amazingly forgiving system.

> The following Google search may prove an good starting point:
> site:secunia.com linux kernel panic

Nice try but can you make those calls from a single shell command?  And before
anyone asks about phoning a friend, BTDT:
  mail -s 'DOS me' mate at ...

Keep 'em coming  ;-)