[Sussex] Re: Sourcing list of hardware

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 07:49:04 UTC 2006

> At home, my two old Dell machines - a P2 400Mhz and a P2 266Mhz - and
> my second hand Thomson Speedtouch ADSL and my £10-from-new network
> switch have never given any trouble over more than a year's use.
> Together, they do everything I need and I've rather got used to it :-)
> But a 17-PC establishment is an order of magnitude higher.

My comment here is that when I see one of those soft modems I like to
throw it out and replace it with the ADSL modem / router, normally the
low cost one from www.qtds.com.

Two reasons:-
1/ I don't want to expose the computer to the internet (especially
important with dual booted machines)
2/ The common USB modems use processor power and in some instances I
have experienced internet speed even slower than dial up using it.
Problem immediately resolved using the stand alone modem / router. (I
always get the ones with 4 sockets as the cost difference is so little)