[Sussex] Linux Desktop Multiplier

Fay Zee fay.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 26 23:01:12 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I've been to both days of the LinuxWorld Expo and the highlight of
the first day for me was the talk on the Linux Desktop Multiplier - I got
there early especially, as it was the first scheduled talk.

The site is here: http://omni-ts.com/linux-desktop/ and the links down
the left take you to technical requirements, setup, etc.

This quote from the Omni site sums it up:
"The Linux Desktop Multiplier™ for SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED
10) allows up to 10 users to share a single Linux PC. Simply add
inexpensive dual-head graphics cards, monitors, keyboards, mice and a
powered USB hub to an existing SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop computer
and install the Linux Desktop Multiplier."

In fact, you are not restricted to SLED , it's just that this solution
is normally deployed in circumstances where a secure, robust and
supported distro is a must. But you can equally use it with any
distro.

I tried out the machines in the Internet Cafe downstairs, where it was
being showcased, and had a good talk with Trevor (techie) and Julie
(UK sales contact). You need all the monitors to be within about 12
feet and have shielded cables because of the distance. The keyboards
and mice must be USB not PS2. At the cafe, they had standard USB
keyboards, and these and the USB mice were plugged into a couple of
powered, 7-port USB hubs. But you can equally use keyboards equipped
with USB ports and plug the mouse straight into the keyboard,
eliminating some cables. It supports sound, so you can plug the
speakers into the keyboard as well, or a USB pen drive.

Every user has their own separate login and profile and as long as the
single PC has 256MB of RAM per user (2GB for 8 users) your users will
not know they are sharing. The software keeps track of the individual
users.

Trevor gave me a demonstration of how easy it is to assign keyboard
and mouse to a particular monitor - dead easy - I was controlling any
PC I wanted. According to Trevor it is also possible to assign two
monitors with one keyboard and mouse to a single user, but he couldn't
find the docs on the site - he will add them ASAP.

The cost is £55 per user, one-off, plus of course half as many dual
graphics cards as there are monitors, some shielded monitor leads,
powered USB hubs, USB mice and keyboards or optionally USB keyboards
with USB ports.

This will be a great solution for my Linux training courseroom and I
will build up to that as soon as circumstances allow. Due to the
proposed layout of my workstations, I will need three PCs. That's
three PCs to keep updated and backed up :-)

Fay

P.S. SLUG were there in force - Nik in the thick of the Ubunto Community booth,
Alan Pope, Clive D, Neil and Desmond, maybe others I didn't happen to
see, as well as John F from the Crawley Computer Club, who nabbed me
to give a live demo of a Mandriva install at an upcoming Crawley
meeting.