[Sussex] Ruby DNS resolver

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Thu Sep 7 08:28:14 UTC 2006

Ronan Chilvers <ronan at thelittledot.com> writes:

> Gave it a try. Turns out that a lot of time is spent waiting for
> select() calls. We have a internal DNS server (dnsmasq) here which
> forwards to an external source. If I take the forwarder out of the
> equation (ie: remove it from resolv.conf) lookups speed up
> dramatically.

The reason I was talking about caches earlier is just this. So you
_do_ have a cache (ok... it's not on your machine, but it is there).

I use dnsmasq to and haven't had a problem.

You could try configing dnsmasq specifically to find the servers for
the domains you need. For example:

  server=/relays.ordb.org/q.ns.ordb.org

This would mostly bypass the dnsmasq DNS client resolution.

> Sheesh!!! Going to investigate further - speed hasn't been an issue with
> the forwarder in the past so maybe something unpleasant is lurking in
> the DNS woodshed.

I think what I would do is set up another dnsmasq and strace it.

After all, you're not getting any problems anywhere else.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk   for all your tapsell ferrier needs