[Sussex] iso checksums

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Mon Sep 25 02:32:41 UTC 2006

Hi John,

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 11:11:09PM +0100, John English wrote:
>    I downloaded ISOs for Fedora 5, which my reading suggested was the
>    most appropriate distro for the likely use of the machine, and when I
>    sha1sum them I get the right checksums.  But when I try to install the
>    media check rejects 3 out of 5 of the burnt discs as corrupt. Is there
>    a way of checking if the corruption has occured in the burn or if the
>    problam is in the old machines hardware? Should I try and reburn the
>    discs, proceed with the install regardless or replace the CD drive?

If you can sha1sum the contents of the disc and they match then
obviously the burn went correctly.  You could also try burning
software that does its own checksum.. I'm afraid I can't suggest any
in windows.  sha1summing the ISO file itself will reassure you that
you have downloaded it correctly but if the content of the actual
disc is different (and you have verified this without using the CD
itself) then you must begin to suspect the burn or the drive.

I wouldn't proceed with the install at the moment as the error
suggests there definitely is something wrong with the discs or the
cd drive and I can't see how the install would be successful.

>    PS I've noticed that some mail to this list comes in the form of an
>    .asc and .txt attachment and that while I can read the txt from my PC
>    it is a total pain from webmail (which due to circumstances beyond my
>    control I often have to use). Can those who do so (or anyone else, of
>    course!) please (a) explain why their mail clients are so exclusive
>    and (b) suggest ways of reading the messages if doomed to using
>    Webmail from a M$ machine?

This is most likely due to PGP/MIME signatures being attached and
then your mail client not recognising that it can and should still
display the parts inline, leading to you having to click on them.
This is a well-known deficiency of Microsoft Outlook family,
although I am suprised that your webmail is also equally broken.

The answer is to use better software.  I've heard that Gmail handles
it fine, for example.

Cheers,
Andy