[Sussex] Re: Documentation helping

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Sun Apr 1 15:44:13 UTC 2007

"John D." <johnsemail at f2s.com> writes:

> Of course, I'm well aware that most of what I need to know is either at TLDP
> or in the man pages, but as I already said, TLDP is bad enough, the man pages
> are really the pits (IMO of course). I have to read the link I run in my "LQ
> sig" whenever I need to make use of them!
> (http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/%7Eguide/help/man.html)

Man pages aren't for you. They're for techies.

But the tldp stuff should be addressing ALL levels of documentation.

It's not just the level of tech detail btw, partly OSS doc is just
bad. As a techie I ought to be able to understand more of it more
quickly and I can't. It's just bad a lot of the time.

> Though I can usually work out if I feel that a howto or similar is IMO, well
> written. I certainly don't have the time to contribute what I'd feel is
> anything like enough to be of any real use - hence my periodic attendance at
> LQ and the others (are you listening to this Camelot ???).
>
> Ah well, I suppose I'll just have to keep moaning ;P

YES! Keep moaning. Moaning is underrated.

Let's face it - you'd moan at a company and a company is earning money
from supposedly making things better. And we all know how little
moaning works with companies.

Well, you have an incentive with moaning at OSS/Free software people
because they might actually get stuff done if you moan at them!

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk