[Sussex] Making Linux ever so boring

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 2 08:59:12 UTC 2007

Andrew,

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 10:09 +0100, Andrew Guard wrote:
> First I was going to publish this on Sunday but due current comments I
> have decide to release a day earlier.
>
> Well Linux is ever so boring. Well it is fact at end of the day Linux is
> just a kernel.  Now some of you might not like me saying this but it
> true. I am going to rather frank with my point of views.
>
> I have been banging on about Linux and marking for years, Linux is in a
> need of new look. The public view of Linux = Boring, yes it darn boring.
> To reason is simple because your making it ever so boring.

One of the good things about Linux is that in many ways it is boring.
Some of the "boring" distros (I'm not sure why but Debian really leaps
Nureyev-like to the front of my mind here) are boring because they are
reliable, and designed that way. You could argue that if you want
excitement, use Windows with incompatible hardware and dodgy memory -
plenty of exciting blue screen crashes there!

Maybe I should give another update to Beryl and other Linux eye-candy at
the next moot. In the meantime here's a sample of a desktop using Beryl
- note the Vista-like window furniture and the use of transparency:

http://www.sussex.lug.org.uk/images/sdp-screen-shot.jpg

> We need to enlightened people to idea of using Linux. We all know this
> is the challenge that we now have to face. We have every thing to gain
> and nothing to loss unlike lot from Redmond do. We are in best position
> of all, we have system which is truly amazing. If they was done on the
> open market and it would cost at least £50,000 per copy. A lot things
> which Linux can do for nothing can not be done with software from Redmond.

I would agree that a more coherent look and feel would go a long way to
improving public acceptance of Linux, but that is coming. Besides, if
you are prepared to put in the effort, you can make KDE or Gnome look
and feel like OSX or Windows.

> There is an over obsesses with things no one cares about in Linux like
> how well it works, well great it works? Or sorry but wasn't that idea in
> the first place anyway? Or am I just getting this all wrong and want
> your system to crash all time.
> Just by boosting how reliable you have just turned of 80% population in
> one go. As these very people couldn't care any less.  Just prove the
> point Apple isn't selling much more with that sort line is it. I must be
> just me but Apple computers are fly off shelves, the bleep there are
> experiencing is because they change CPU's more then anything else.
>
> What do people use there computers for today is very little OBIE
> (Office, Browsing, Instant Messaging, E-mail). With Linux system don't
> have much problem with apps to do these jobs but for Instent Messaging.
> Yes there tools which work with all main IM's but well they look ugly
> and looks do matter with the public.

Well, I've just dumped Windows XP as my primary desktop operating system
because of system file corruption that the utterly useless repair
routine on the install CD manifestly failed to fix. And then you have
install a hardware driver from floppy - what planet were Microsoft
living on when they created that little gem? Anyway, the switch has been
coming for some time, but now there's stuff on Linux for everything I
want to do - admittedly the Pocket PC sync is non-trivial at the moment
- so I've got no reason to keep an installation of Windows now apart
from some DirectX based games.

You may notice that I use Gentoo, and this isn't a distro I would
recommend for Linux novices, but it fits my purposes like an old shoe
now, and I wouldn't consider using another distro. For those new to
Linux there are good distros which work pretty much out of the box, and
these will only get better.