[Sussex] Linux Fax for a Single User

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 23:24:03 UTC 2007

Fay Zee wrote:
> On 03/04/07, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
>> Hylafax?
>
> Thanks for getting back to me so soon, Al.
>
> I've received an email from my friend. He has sent out a fax survey
> and is expecting replies. His hardware fax machine is no longer
> receiving properly.
>
> He's got Kubuntu 6.06 on a spare PIII 650MHX desktop.
>
> I've just read through the hardware page at
> http://www.hylafax.org/content/Hardware_Compatibility_List. I have no
> idea on fax hardware but luckily we have a mutual friend who may be
> able to help out on sourcing that.
>
> Unless anyone has something suitable he could buy / borrow
> temporarily, not too far distant from East Grinstead / Crawley?
>
> I'll read up further.
The hardware page is like a lot of Linux compatibility pages: it's
*seriously* under-populated, and doesn't mention quite a lot of consumer
modems that people actually use. And it's hardware Linux specific, it
also operates well under various UNIX variants.

Unfortunately, its primary author used a weird scheme of capitalizing
and not-capitalizing filenames to indicate different functionality, so
it has at least one include file called "regex.h" and another called
"Regex.h", and some such files in the same directories. Do not expect
such software to compile gracefully on case-insensitive filesystems!