[Sussex] NTP Server....

Jamie L. Penman-Smithson lists at silverdream.org
Fri Apr 6 01:03:10 UTC 2007

On 5 Apr 2007, at 12:29, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 09:18:39AM +0100, Jamie L. Penman-Smithson
> wrote:
>>
>> On 5 Apr 2007, at 01:53, Andy Smith wrote:
>>> I suggest using at least:
>>>
>>> 0.uk.pool.ntp.org
>>> 1.uk.pool.ntp.org
>>> 2.uk.pool.ntp.org
>>> 3.uk.pool.ntp.org
>>> 0.pool.ntp.org
>>> 1.pool.ntp.org
>>> 2.pool.ntp.org
>>>
>>> That way at least one or two bad clocks won't affect you and you can
>>> focus on your own problems.
>>
>> This is a tad excessive, you only need 3 or 4 timeservers listed.
>
> I agree if you have other servers provided by your upstream, but
> otherwise unfortunately pool.ntp.org servers can be so unreliable
> that I would never recommend using less than 5 of them if that's all
> you've got.

Then don't use pool.ntp.org. If you are that concerned about accuracy
run your own stratum 1 timeserver, or use your ISP's servers
(assuming they are any better). Personally I have never had problems
with using pool.ntp.org. There are processes in place to try and
ensure accuracy - if a servers offset is too high or if it is
unreachable it is automatically removed.

The amount of abusive traffic that pool servers are receiving is
causing many to withdraw, meaning the UK zone is bucking the trend -
it is not meeting the target number of servers needed to handle the
traffic. Rather than concentrating on its shortcomings you could help
improve the quality of service it offers by donating a server yourself.

> 5 is a sensible minimum number of servers anyway, if using public
> servers.

The pool.ntp.org guidelines state 3 as a sensible number. If you want
to make use of pool.ntp.org you should try and abide by its guidelines.

-j