[Sussex] Not managing to comlete an install by myself.

ANDRE ORCHISON orchison at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 9 13:45:46 UTC 2007

Hi All.

  I'm very very new to Linux, so bear with my inexperience please.
  I have an old laptop I want to use to get to know linux a bit better. It's not very hi-spec, but it can and does run WinXP with no complaints whatsoever. So I have bought Linux Format to get a bit of a read, and some of the distro's on the cover disc. I also requested a copy of Ubuntu as it appears to be one of the best to learn on gently. So the live CD's work like a charm, but when it comes time to install, everything just seems to stand still halfway through. And that is where I need to now tap your collective knowledge. What on earth will make an install 'go to sleep' so to speak. While booting up a live CD, and double clicking the install icon, all goes well until step '3 of 6'. Then calling up task manager all processes except for the task manager report status:'sleeping'. This happens with Ubuntu and New Sense, I assume the same happens with Mandriva as it does not repond during the text only phase, and also after just showing a beautiful orange desktop, no icons
 or interface at all.

  Please help, as I am keen to learn and use Linux.

  Andre.
  orchison at btinternet.com
  07775607358