[Sussex] Xubuntu hangs when loading hardware drivers

Fay Zee sussex at eglug.org.uk
Mon Dec 10 22:52:53 UTC 2007

Hi.

I've had a problem booting Xubuntu 6.06 on my Dell L400 this evening.
Last used successfully Saturday 8 Dec when I lent it to Alex to use all day at
the HantsLUG meet. He says he shut it down properly.

But now, it only gets so far, then hangs:
WhatsItAllAboutAlfie07
Mounting root file system...
Reading files needed to boot...
Preparing restricted drivers...
Starting basic naetworking...
Starting kernel event manager...

Hangs at this point.

First time I tried it this evening I had it connected to the Internet with a LAN
cable and a USB pen drive attached. Then I removed them and just had it on a
power lead with no peripherals at all mounted.

Tried many times, even leaving it half an hour. Made no difference.

Then tried in recovery mode. Same problem.
But at least I get the exact failure line:

[4294698.025000] nm256: Mapping port 1 from 0x2709a0 - 0x27ec00

Any ideas please?

Fay